About Me

My photo
Antwerp, Belgium
Welcome to the new, and improved version of Heaven in Belgium. I am Jientje. "Jientje", like the boys name Gene, followed by "chu"? "Gene-chu", that's how you pronounce my name. Yes!!!!That's it!! So now you know huh? I am an addicted blogger. I was born and raised and am still living in Belgium. Yeah, the "this-is- Tuesday-so-this-must-be-Brussels" kind of Belgium .. There, you see? Maybe you couldn't find it on the map, but at least I'm trying to change that a little by sharing lots of pictures. I really love to cook and create new things, like this blog for instance. I am a mother,a grandmothe and a wife too! They say I'm a traveler, and a photographer. Well that's just what they say, I love to make pictures, but I am far from professional ... If my English is not perfect, that would be because it's my second language. I do hope you'll forgive me any possible misspellings or strange vocabulary ... Now, as a result of all of the above, I get way too little sleep and my days are always much too short!

Followers

Heaven is in Belgium

Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday's Fave Five, Almost Spring.






It's the first Friday of March already. Spring is just around the corner. Time to join this meme hosted by Susanne at Living to Tell the story. Time to look back and share some of the highlights of this past week ...



1. Usually I meet up with my friend Nana at least once a month but this past week has been special because we we saw each other twice! We went shopping at Ikea last Friday and we spent a day as tourists in our own town on Wednesday.

2. We're both real coffee lovers and this one was a special treat. We ordered a "surprise coffee" and we got our coffee with four chocolates and a small glass of Elixir d'Anvers liqueur. Elixir d'Anvers is an old fashioned Antwerp liqueur still made today with the same ingredients from the original recipe from 1863.


3. Spring is just around the corner and nature is coming back to life again. These little pink dots are the female flowers of my Hazel shrub. They are so easily overlooked because we tend to only notice the catkins. I had never noticed them up until now!


4. The herbs in my herb garden are starting to grow again too. This is tarragon. It won't be long now before I can make a delicious BĂ©arnaise sauce with it!

5. We've had a lovely week with lots of sunshine. Sunshine always makes me grab my camera, trying to capture that beautiful golden light. I think I managed quite well in this picture, didn't I?

19 comments:

The Retired One said...

I am so jealous. We have cold here and snowbanks still...I am anxious to have Spring arrive! But at least I can enjoy yours until mine comes!

Korie said...

I noticed our clematis and wysteria starting to bud earlier this week. I was very relieved to see signs of spring because this yo-yo weather drives me crazy!!

Ballerina Girl said...

yes you did Jientje!
beautiful last photo...

I wish spring were closer where we are, but alas, the ice crystals are still appearing in the mornings. it will come soon, but I am impatient for it now!

BG

Colleen said...

Although we're definitely seeing signs of spring around here, I think you are further along on that front.

Enjoy it!

Loree said...

Spring is onn the way here too - not that we ever have a harsh winter.

Susanne said...

You certainly did take some lovely pictures of spring starting to show her colors. That little pink plant is lovely. No spring even remotely close around here. It is cold and snowing yet again.

Time with a friend is precious indeed!

Lisa notes... said...

A day shopping at Ikea sounds fun even to me (and I am NOT a shopper). But I do love Ikea. I’ve never heard of a Hazel shrub, but it looks like it’s about to be beautifully pink! All your pictures are beautiful, as always.

A Lady's Life said...

Your camera does marvelous stuff and are we not lucky out here in blog world.:)

ellen b said...

I love the reminders here of Spring being just around the corner. How fun to have 2 meetings with your friend this week. You are such a wonderful photographer Jientje! Have a great weekend.

Brenda said...

Approaching spring and plenty of time for coffee really do make for a good week. I enjoy your pictures (as always)

Bientje said...

That sure was a nice week! And today is cloudy, gloomy and grey again... I want the sun!!!
Big hug,
Your little sister

Barbara H. said...

We've had a few signs of spring here, too, but those little pink buds are so pretty -- so full of promise!

Rob Siemann said...

Life's small luxuries. I could not live without coffee (and I love the Illy coffee). My wife is a tea drinker.

Catherine said...

What beautiful pictures! I'm glad you had a nice day with your friend. Ikea.. I could spend a whole day there! and the signs of spring make me feel happy all over. =)

Unknown said...

Lovely work, Jientje. As always.

MaR said...

Simply lovely! plus: mmmh, coffee!

Unknown said...

Yes the light is beautiful! Spring is definetely in the making...

Barbara said...

Love the captures of the signs of spring... I am ready for spring. My favorite time of the year

Mary said...

Gosh, I wish we had an IKEA here...there closest one is about 4 hours away in Atlanta.

What am I up to? Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed